Thursday, August 6, 2009

Racial issues and Racism

I don't really believe in being colorblind.

That being said, I also don't believe race is the ONLY way to identify someone.
I am a half-Latina, half-white young woman and damn proud of it. I have a heritage
that goes back to Italy and Greece, and my Mom's marriage was the first biracial marriage in her family. I identify myself as Hispanic on legal forms, and enjoy Indian, Mexican, Spanish, Italian and Japanese food. I think people take racism too far too often, especially when it comes
to here-say, art, and our President. Race only means so much. It signifies where you come from,
what culture values you may or may not practice and what stereotype one falls under. (The stereotypes being the worst thing about race.) Race or "Ethnicity" is not something that defines a whole person. Just because I am white female does NOT mean I like to shop, and just because I am a hispanic female does NOT mean I speak with an accent, or love tacos.
That being said, race and ethnicity perpetuate and permeate society as much as gender does.
It's really sad, and yet another view that needs to be shifted and can get far too radical.
Race is only that. Race.
Each one has had their struggle, and each still continues.
But hopefully someday, someday,
people can see eachother not just for the color of their skin but the content
of their character. And hopefully that someday is soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment